This public House was built in 1661 and was located on Ilkeston Road in Radford. The original 17th century Coaching Inn was pulled down and replaced by the present building in 1912. In the front wall of the pub was a diamond date stone. The date stone can be seen in the above photograph just below the cast iron guttering that runs across the building below the two upstairs windows. The shape of the gable end and pediments also date the building. The building was built of hand made bricks that were formed in wooden brick moulds. They were measured 9″ by 2½” by 4″. Patterns in the brickwork were made using the different coloured bricks that were generated by the old fashioned way of firing bricks.
Firing was done by making two parallel walls of brick. Bricks were placed across the top forming a long narrow passage. As the brick walls were being built up the space between was filled with charcoal and other combustible materials . A small fire was built at one end so that the wind would use the passage like a chimney and burn through to the other end. This method of firing would produce bricks of varying colour depending on the position of the bricks in relation to the fire. Colours would vary from light orange to deep purple. Bricks which were closer to the fire would vitrify. Very high temperatures would make the silica in the clay become molten and form glass. These bricks were particularly used to form patterns.
Ilkeston Road runs from Canning Circus to St Peter`s Street near to the old Radford Railway Station.
The Crown Hotel was located in an old area called Radford Marsh. This was on the main Nottingham to Ilkeston Road. Opposite to the Crown Hotel was Radford station. The station building can be seen on the bridge in the above photograph. The original Crown Hotel was demolished around 1935 due to road widening of the Ilkeston Road and St Peter’s Street junction. The net result of the demolition of this fine looking building was a gain of only about a yard or so. The title and licence of the Crown was taken in 1935 to the then very modern building at the Western Boulevard and Middleton Boulevard Island. The second Crown Hotel still survives and is still in existence as a public house.
Radford Railway Station was on the Midland Main Line and Robin Hood Line in Radford. It was opened by the Midland Railway in 1848, and closed in 1964. No trace of it remains beyond different coloured brickwork on the A609 road bridge where steps went down to the platform.
Article originally published by Peter Woodward of My Broxtowe Hundred Journal Website.