James Shipstone the founder of Nottingham’s most famous brewery ‘Shipstones’. James Shipstone shares his grave with several of his family members in the Church Rock Cemetery.
James Shipstone & Sons was the name of a brewery based in New Basford in Nottingham, England that opened in 1852 and closed in 1991.
The company produced the Shipstones brand of beer, known locally as Shippos.
The company was founded by James Shipstone in 1852. The company’s offices and brewery were based at the 7-acre (28,000 m2) Shipstones ‘Star’ Brewery in the New Basford area of Nottingham. The brewery earned the nickname of ‘Star’ brewery because of the distinctive red illuminated star which stood at the top of the brewery’s tower which could be seen for many miles around.
In 1922 it absorbed both the Beeston Brewery Company and William Hooley Limited.
By 1939, the company owned 550 licensed premises, 30 diesel lorries for long distance delivery work and 50 horses for local delivery work.
The brewery remained an independent family business until 1978 when the company was purchased by Greenall’s of Warrington which also purchased a number of other breweries from neighbouring towns and cities. Greenall’s introduced minor changes to the production of the various Shipstones beers and increased the marketing of the company, in 1987 Shipstones became the main shirt sponsor of Nottingham Forest Football Club, in an arrangement which continued until 1994.
In 1990, Greenall’s announced that they were ending all beer production and becoming a retailer only company. Production at Shipstones Brewery ended in early 1991 after 139 years. The Shipstones brand continued to be produced for some years afterwards at breweries in Burton upon Trent.
Today the company offices have been taken over, while some housing and retail units have been constructed on other parts of the site. The landmark Victorian building, constructed in 1900 with later extension, remains standing and has been earmarked for conversion into offices.